Installing a rolling fire door is a great move to increase the security of people and property. A high-quality steel rolling door protects Janesville WI area facilities, supplies, inventories, documents and staff. These rugged doors seal off areas from smoke and flames. Rolling from ceiling to floor these steel fire doors are engineered to close off an entire building or selected areas within. They are available to fit most standard and custom openings ? from employee entrance sizes to extra-large overhead garage doors
It isn?t uncommon for municipalities to require annual inspections of offices, warehouses and retail space to be sure they comply with local fire codes. UL-approved, high-quality doors meet all local building codes.
When first devised, rolling doors were made from wood, aluminum and steel. Steel doors are the only reliable choice as a fire door. Aluminum melts at a temperature far too low to be safe, and wood is obviously too flammable. Steel doors come with reliable seals. Some include insulation for use on exterior openings. Investing in a fire door that also keeps Wisconsin?s ever-changing weather at bay is a wise move, right?
Rolling Fire Door Choices
Rolling doors feature a series of metal slats rolling together, working like standard garage door panels. Protective baked-on coatings come in several colors. A corrosion protection treatment is also common. For added protection from excess wear and the elements, a coating that includes zinc is available. Zinc is part of a galvanization process. Available finishes including:
- Powder coating ? a high-tech industrial paint baked into a durable finish. Available in a wide range of colors.
- Hot-dip galvanizing ? a coat of heated zinc added to create a silver finish.
- Cold galvanizing ? spraying a zinc solution or powder coating onto metal parts, protecting them from weather and corrosives.
- Type 304 stainless steel ? the most versatile and widely-used stainless. Corrosion-resistant it polishes up to a bright shine or, more often gets a coat of paint.
- Weather seals ? limit air coming in/out around the rolling door. For fire doors professional installation is important a complete seal. Be sure to drop-test seals added after the door goes in. Use a professional technician to insure the seal doesn?t interfere with the closing operation.
Steel rolling doors provide security beyond fire and smoke control. Because they are steel and large they are heavy. While manual opening/closing systems are available most installations include electric door openers. Where fire control is a main concern, automatic closing systems with remote sensing is an option. Door opener choices include:
- Manual push/pull operation
- Manual chain hoist up/down control
- Hand crank controls
- Electric door openers
Safety First ? Install A Steel Rolling Door
Depending upon the activities in your building local fire codes dictate the degree of fire protection you must have. In commercial buildings, most regulations call for fire walls and smoke/fire suppression structures. Since there?s never a structure without access points, fire doors are the first line of defense. These security doors join fire walls to:
- Preventing the spread of heat, flame, hot gasses and burning debris
- Maintaining their ability to support their designated loads
- To withstand the impact and pressure of debris
When installed and operated correctly rolling steel fire doors are safe and efficient. However, it isn?t healthy to underestimate how heavy and bulky they are. Any moving part this size and weight is potentially hazardous. To protect property and staff call in professional garage door technicians to review your installations and educate your people. It?s worth the extra effort to protect your people and property, right?
Operator error is the No. 1 cause of many industrial accidents. Most safety procedures rely upon operators using common sense. But some are technical. Consider these guidelines for a routine checkup of your fire doors:
- Regular visual inspections of the door for damage or excess wear.
- Making sure everything works ? check that all locks and fasteners work as they should.
- Remove any obvious or potential obstructions from the door?s track/pathway.
- Open and close the door using the opening mechanism ? chain, crank or electric opener. Be sure it moves smoothly.
- Inspect the door?s springs for wear ? if worn or broken, don?t attempt to replace them, call in a professional with the right training and tools.
Rolling Fire Door Pros On Call
Commercial garage-type door manufacturers offer a variety of configurations for rolling security doors. Some are mesh so you can see what?s on the other side. Some steel rolling doors keep people/things in or out. High-tech fire doors do a lot more. The latest technology leads to ever-increasing reliability. Steel fire doors protect the building and its contents. When it?s time for a new door, to replace an old rolling door or get an existing door repaired you have options. Modern rolling steel doors come with many accessories and choices ? colors, openers, etc. When you need service to any loading dock or commercial doors Country Door Systems is just a phone call away ? 608-752-9537.
We offer a wide range of commercial garage doors and accessories. Take advantage of our expertise to add a high-tech steel rolling fire door to protect your Janesville WI property.